Colton Siler, psychology junior, pushes off at the start of the 100-meter dash on Saturday. Siler hit the A standard in the race.(Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

Saturday brings the track and field team to their first meet of the season outside the county lines. They will travel to Emporia to compete in the Emporia State Relays.

“We haven’t been to Emporia State in years and we are excited for something different,” said Jim Helmer, head men’s track coach. “We will see some competition we are not used to seeing.”

It is the third outdoor meet out of eight scheduled this season.

“It is just the way the schedule works out this year,” said Mike Kirkland, head women’s track coach. “It will be not only a big meet numbers wise, but will be one of the more competitive meets we go to.”

The team is coming off of competing at the Cowley Invitational April 4. The meet consisted of seven teams including Barton County, Coffeyville, Butler Community, Central Oklahoma, Oklahoma Wesleyan and Southwestern Christian.
“It was a good meet to get re-established after coming back from spring break,” said Kirkland.

On the men’s side, Trevor Noel, digital arts sophomore, hit the automatic qualifying standard for nationals in the triple jump.

“I was just feeling it,” said Noel. “I knew all that day that I was going to get it. My leg started buckling on my second jump, so it could have been farther.”

Colton Siler, psychology junior, also hit the A standard in the 100 meter dash.

Helmer says that national qualifying marks don’t come as easy as they have in the past.

“Most of our qualifying standards got a lot tougher,” said Helmer. “It takes an outstanding effort to get either an A or a B.”

In the women’s events, Amy Pierson, nursing senior, made her mark in her first competition of the season. Pierson won the 800 meter run with a time of 2:23.30 and beat out 25 other competitors.

Anjaih Clemons, business administration senior, also ran in the 800 meter run and finished seventh with a time of 2:30.94.

“That was the first time she ran in the 800 this year,” said Kirkland.

Kirkland says that the team picked up where they left off from their first meet.

“We certainly didn’t lose ground,” said Kirkland. “These next two weeks we are going to have outstanding competition and that extra element brings out the best.”

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.