Outdoor track and field season will begin for the Builders on March 15. Southwestern College will host the Southwestern Invitational at Richard L. Jantz Stadium. Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will be competing in the meet.

The Builders are anticipating having 12 to 15 teams competing. Field events will begin at 11 a.m. and the track will start at 12:30pm.

“We are crossing our fingers to have good weather,” said Mike Kirkland, head women’s track coach. “It is a mixed bag, you do not know what weather you are going to get.”

The majority of the team has had a month without competition. This meet will make them go back to the routine. “We have no expectations other than getting familiar and dealing with elements,” said Kirkland.

At the end of the outdoor season last year, the team went through a peak. “I am preparing hard for this meet. Training really hard and eating healthy,” said David Leonard, business administration freshman. After this meet, the athletes will have a week off for spring break. After spring break, there will be six straight weeks of meets before the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference meet in Sterling.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.