By Jacob Jimmerson

Kelsey Buffum, secondary education junior, races along the track hoping to place in her event.

Kelsey Buffum, secondary education junior, races along the track hoping to place in her event. (Kylie Stamper/Collegian photographer)

A second home meet for the Builders and another successful one. The SC relays displayed some record breaking performances by the ladies and some almost qualifiers on the men’s side.

Bailey Collier, athletic training sophomore, jumped a new school record and now NAIA national leading height of 5’11 feet. Her personal record before this, which was also a school record, was 5’8 feet.

Collier said, “I am thrilled and so excited about my jump today, but I need to keep it up and repeat this performance or improve on it next week, especially since it is conference. I need to make sure I focus even more this next week on my technique and my attitude towards the jump.”

Collier also finished third in the 100 meter hurdles with a personal best time of 16.18 seconds.

Taylor Needham, biochemistry freshman, also broke a school record in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.91 minutes.

Needham said, “I had a good feeling about this meet after one of my best weeks of practice this year, but I managed to surprise myself still. Now I need another great week of practice, so that I can perform even better at the conference meet and hopefully win conference.”

The 4X100 meter relay won a second place finish with a time of 47.97 seconds. Which is run by Ashlee Wenrick, biology junior, Kayla Wilson, business sophomore, Christina Myer, biology sophomore, and then Needham.

The 4X400 meter relay won first place with a time of 3:56.34 minutes. Which is run by Wenrick, Wilson, Allie Maffei, psychology junior, and Needham.

Needham said, “It wasn’t our best time of the season, but it was still pretty close and we know a couple things that we need to fix to get our time back up. We are happy with the time and just hope to carry the momentum forward.”

Other notables on the day were Kelsey Buffum, education junior, who finished third in the 5000 meter run with a time of 20:13.48 minutes.  Wilson also finished first in the long jump with a distance of 5.90 meters.

On the men’s side Garrett Britton, elementary education freshman, was the star of the day with a personal best time in the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 15.02 seconds. This is agonizingly close to the national qualifying time of 15.0 seconds. He also finished first in the 400 meter hurdles with a personal best time of 55.97 seconds.

Britton hopes to continue the momentum forward. He said, “I am so happy with my times today and all I can do is thank god for the opportunity to run. I obviously would have liked to qualify for nationals today, but if I just continue to work hard that will come next weekend.”

The 4X800 meter relay team won first place with a time of 7:54.46 minutes. This is ran by Taylor Parker, physical performance senior, Jacob Anders, biology freshman, Nick Warnke, business senior, and Keegan Gregg, business sophomore.

Cayd Blooomquist, business senior, who is back from injury, won first place in the pole vault with a height of 4.72 meters. Caleb Jackson, business junior, won first place in the 3000 meter steeple chase with a personal best time of 10:18.10 minutes.

The Builders will travel to Bethany College May 1 for a two day conference meet that will end on May 2 in Lindsborg.

The Builders will have one more chance after that to get more national qualifiers at a last chance meet, which has yet to be announced.

Jacob Jimmerson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at jacob.jimmerson@sckans.edu.