By Jacob Jimmerson

A new school record is now in the books, as the 4X400 meter ladies relay team runs a national ‘B’ qualifying time with a time of 3:55. Shattering the old school record of 3:58 and running only four-tenths of a second off of the national ‘A’ qualifying mark.

The relay team starts with Ashlee Wenrick, biochemistry junior, then goes to Taylor Needham, biochemistry freshman, after that is Kayla Wilson, business sophomore and anchored by Allie Maffei, psychology senior.

Mike Kirkland, head track and field coach said, “I knew that this group would get the school record, but I didn’t know that we were going to run this fast of a time all ready. I’m really pleased with the way that they performed today, now we have to carry this momentum forward into the next week.”

Kelsey Buffum, education junior, won first place in the 3000 meter steeple chase with a time of 12:15.92, which is a personal record as well. Rebecca Gamez, biology sophomore, won second place in the race with a time of 12:36.30.

Buffum said, “It felt great to run a personal record today, but I know that I can continue to improve and try to beat this time the next time I run the event.”

Wilson qualified for nationals in the 100 meter dash in a second place finish with a time of 12.19 seconds, which is also a personal record. This is the fourth event that she has qualified for the national meet. Christina Meyer, biology sophomore, finished fifth in the event with a time of 12.39 seconds, which is a personal record.

Ashley Schoenhofer, education junior, finished first in the 800 meter dash with a time of 2:27.34 minutes, this was her fastest time of the outdoor season this year. Needham won first place in the 400 meter hurdles with a personal best and automatic national qualifying mark of 1:02.24, which she had already qualified for.

Wenrick won second place in the 200 meter dash with a personal best time of 25.50 seconds, which was just off the ‘B’ qualifying mark. Wilson takes home third place in the 200 meter dash with a time of 25.75 seconds.

The B-team 4X400 meter relay team won fourth place, it was lead off by Schoenhofer, then Gamez, then Meyer and anchored by Ashley Smith, psychology freshman, with a time of 4:26.13 minutes.

Bailey Collier, athletic training sophomore, finished second in the high jump with a national ‘B’ qualifying jump of 1.65 meters.

The men’s side was headlined by the 4X800 meter dash, who won first place with a time of 8:04.26 minutes. The lead off was Taylor Parker, physical performance senior, then Jacob Anders, biology freshman, Skye Loving, business junior and anchored by Keegan Gregg, business sophomore.

Gregg won fifth in the 800 meter dash with a time of 2:00.30 minutes, which is a personal record. Caleb Jackson, business junior, won second place in the 5000 meter dash with a time of 16:20.37 minutes.

Jackson said, “It was great to get a personal record in the 5K, especially since I have struggled with the event this year, but I know that I can run even faster. I just want to hit my peak come the conference championship.”

Kirkland is more than pleased with the direction that the builders are going. He said, “We are peaking at the right time and I just hope that we can keep it up.  We need to be at the best come conference so that we can try to stir some things up there.”

The builder’s next meet is at home on April 25.

Jacob Jimmerson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at jacob.jimmerson@sckans.edu