By Taylor Finke

If you’re like me, at some point you have felt that there are not enough hours in the day to get all your work done. You have probably felt like you struggle to balance chill time with getting-work-done time. You wished that there was a way to travel back in time or to be at two places at once so that you could do absolutely everything you needed to get done. Unfortunately, flux capacitors haven’t been invented yet, and the Ministry for Magic doesn’t loan out time turners to Muggles. So what can you do? As boring as it sounds, you’ve got to use your time wisely. There are plenty of great ways to do this, and I have condensed it down to three main points.

First, prioritize. The human race has been prioritizing since the beginning of time.  A caveman had to decide whether the more pressing matter was to check out his buddy’s new cave paintings or to go kill a saber-toothed tiger waiting outside his cave.  While society’s advanced since then, the problems aren’t all that different. Instead of cave paintings we have Facebook, and homework has replaced saber-toothed cats. Obviously, homework needs to come before Facebook, because everyone knows unfinished homework always goes for your GPA’s jugular.

Next, plan. Write down long-term and short-term assignments on your phone calendar, or get a real calendar if technology hates you. Get the high-priority items checked off before you move on.  Make a schedule of what you need to accomplish between classes. As equally important as planning work is planning relaxation.  For example, my sticky-note schedule has six days filled to the brim with classes, homework/study times, catnaps, and chores. But under the seventh day all I have written is Whatever.  As long as I get all my homework done by then, I have a day off to do whatever I want to do.

Finally, and most importantly, get stuff done. Plans and priorities are worthless if you never bother to do the work. In other words, do not, under any circumstances, procrastinate! As one of the worst offenders (I literally wrote a paper about procrastination the day it was due) I am speaking from experience. It really does nothing but make you crazy trying to finish everything and generally leads to very inferior work.

In a nutshell, college requires us all to adjust our schedule and habits. When it comes down to it, we either do or do not, since trying is not enough.  To summarize: sort out what really needs to get done, write it down in the order it needs to get done, and then just do it!

Taylor Finke is a freshman majoring in English. You may e-mail her at taylor.finke@sckans.edu.