By Daniel Van Sickle
Staff Reporter

Both the women’s and men’s teams lost to the Bethel Threshers on Tuesday in Newton.

The women’s team only won one match. The only Lady Builder to win was Sadie Pfau, Biochemisty Freshman, won her singles match against Alyssa Scheuerman with a set score of 6-4, 6-3.  Pfau is now 5-0 in conference play and is currently the KCAC athlete of the week.

“Sadie Pfau, the women’s only win for today, did a great job of playing up to her strength and charging the net,” said Tyler Harrell, marine biology senior.

Several Lady Builders who lost their matches played hard at the end despite a big score deficit. Harrell said, “Our 3 doubles team, Hayley Fort and Haley Porter, came back from a 1-5 deficit to lose in a tiebreaker.”

The loss was not wholly unexpected for the Lady Builders. Harrell remarked, “Up until this year, Bethel has beat every team in the KCAC both in conference play and in the conference tournament. Every time we have played them, it’s been a tough loss. This year wasn’t much different.”

The men’s team lost with a score of 8-1  against the Bethel Thrashers. Like the ladies, the only individual to win was the 6th seated singles player. For the men, Bradon Baker won his match against Davien Lightbourne with a set score of 6-4, 6-4.

Max Manley, Business Administration Senior,  said of Baker’s performance that, “Braden Baker played really well and has been playing well all season, he’s one of the best #6 singles players in the conference.”

The Bethel Threshers on the men’s side are also good according to Manley though they have been beaten by SC before.

“Previous matches against Bethel were typically closer and we’ve won against them before, but they added a couple good players and they are a program on the rise.” said Manley.

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu.