By Sam Jones

It’s Christmas week here at Southwestern College, and one of the events not to be missed is, Eagerheart.

Eagerheart is a tradition here at the college, as theatre students have been performing this play each Christmas since 1932. This tradition began during Dean Allen’s tenure; the same Dean that started the moundbuilding ceremony.

Alice Mary Buckton’s early 1900’s play, Eagerheart, is a Christmas mystery play that will display power, love and wisdom as Eagerhehart searches for what Christmas is all about. There are kings and shepherds and a holy family – many similarities are aligned with the first Christmas.

This show is perfect for the whole family, and there are plenty of opportunities to see the production. The on-campus performance will be at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday in Messenger Recital Hall, while it will also be performed at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Grace United Methodist Church, and at 10:30 a.m. Sunday at First United Methodist Church in Arkansas City.

There are families who will come each year, who say ‘Christmas has not begun until we see Eagerheart each year.’ So for many, this is the beginning of the Christmas season,” said Roger Moon, associate professor of theatre and speech.

“People should come and see the show because it sends exactly the right message for this time of the year, that really, we should carry with us throughout the year, and that message is that, if you are able, to help those in need, “Allyson Moon, director of the theatre program.

“The pressure mostly comes from knowing your lines. Since the director and many of the people who have been in the show before know it by heart. You can’t cover up a mistake,” said Anna Rosell, junior technical theatre.

“I’ve really enjoyed seeing new Campus Players taking on new roles. They wear the same costume and say the same lines as the cast last year but they bring a fresh attitude to it all,” said Rosell.

“We want people to see the show and we want them to say that it was different, but that it was meaningful and new this year,” Roger said.

Sam Jones is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at samuel.jones@sckans.edu