Pfingsten and Wilson

Aron Pfingsten, English sophomore, reads the script with Stephanie Wilson, English junior, during auditions for "Chicago." (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Two chorus girls, a lawyer, love, lost fame and a notorious murder case could only mean one thing: “Chicago.”

The theatre department recently had auditions for the well-known musical.

Southwestern theatre students chose “Chicago” as the musical they would like to perform this year. “As a department we are always having discussions with students on what they would like to perform. We hold one musical each year, and this year “Chicago” was mentioned the most,” said Allyson Moon, associate professor of theatre.

The auditions were opened to the community and surrounding areas. An email was sent out to local high schools and Cowley College.

Moon said, “With this being such a big musical and needing 25 to 30 cast members, we had to open up the auditions for “Chicago” to the community and surrounding areas.”

Auditions for “Chicago” took place over a week’s time. Each person auditioning performed a song of their choice, a memorized dance and a monologue or line from the play. Auditioners also had to be very familiar with the music from “Chicago” for performances during call backs.

“You have invested so much time into this audition,” said Lenita Krejci, theater education senior. “I was more scared to sing for callbacks than to sing this in front of everyone.”

For many this was their first musical audition at the college level.

Julia Faust, musical theatre freshman, said “It was very intimidating because we had to audition in front of everyone, but at the same time they made it very comfortable for me to do my best job. Leaving the auditions, I felt good about how I did. It also really helped me with taking that first step in learning the different steps of how a professional audition will go after I leave Southwestern.”

The week-long process can be intimidating and tiring.

“The best advice I can give someone who is looking to audition for a major musical is have fun with it. Everyone who auditions gets to take that time to explore another person,” said Krejci. “Give it your best shot and that’s all you can do.”

The musical will be performed March 3, 4, and 5 in Messenger Recital Hall and is being directed by Allyson Moon.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.

CHICAG0
cast
Velma Kelly
– Lenita Krejci
Roxie Hart – Arden Moon
Amos Hart – Blake Carter
Cook County Jail Murderesses
Caitlynn French, Stephaie Wilson, Sommer Camp, Julz Faust,
Manon Marcotte, Lenita Krejci
“Mama” Morton – Sarah Jane Boyer
Billy Flynn – Cody Davis
Mary Sunshine – Justin Tinker

Supporting Roles
Master of Ceremonies, Fred Casely, Sergeant Fogerty, Martin Harrison,
Go-to Hell Kitty, Harry, Aaron, Judge, Court Clerk, Reporters, Radio Announcers,
Jury, Members of the Courtroom, and More

played by the performers in the following groups:

Men’s Singing and Dancing Chorus
Justin Tinker, Tymon Wall, Danny Mouangdy, Aron Pfingsten, Joe Tran, Chris Cole

and
Women’s Singing and Dancing Chorus

Sommer Camp, Kaitlyn Wall, Caitlynn French, Manon Marcotte, Stephanie Wilson,
Alessandra Bevilacqua, Victoria Mitchell, Katy Buffum

and
Singing and/or Acting Chorus

Chris Cole, Cooper Hart, Stephanie Wheeler, Erin Morris, Julz Faust, Lisa Prater,
Marie Hart, Denise Moser, Kevin Mnich, Alex Edgerly, Charles Fall