Hayley C. Weston-McClain

On a Sunday night walking into Mossman, it can be very dark with lights from around campus helping to make the way clear.

In Mossmon 108 the lights are on and rows of chairs are set up facing the screen projector. People are talking amongst themselves, waiting for the service to start.

As everyone starts to take their seats the lights dimmed and Jonathan Woon, communication junior, will start to play the guitar for worship. Sometimes, students stand  and sometimes they sit, but lifting their voices toward God is the focus of the hour.

As Woon prays for the group, and what has been laid on his heart at the time, Jordan Barrett, sports management senior, prepares to give the message. In October, the messages have been based around the theme of “You’re Dead So Now What.”

As the night draws to an end, there is an open prayer time while music plays in the background. Students can pray with each other or share pray concerns that they have. After the time is over, Barrett with pray for the message that everyone received.

This, is The Venue. The Venue met for the first time in Aug., 2011.

Some may recall a group that would meet Sunday mornings last year in Sutton. The Venue is being led by Barrett but has moved to Sunday nights at 8:00 p.m. in Mossmon 108.

“It is a student-led movement, for students who don’t have a home church here in Winfield,” said Caleb Chua, religion and philosophy junior.

Barrett said that moving the time from Sunday morning to the evening was a good idea because at 8:00 p.m. not many students are doing anything.

Barrett collaborates with other students to plan this Sunday evening. On average, they spend two and a half hours planning to make sure that the service will be meaningful.

“It is more of a friendly environment, with a personal level of prayer for each other and an intimate worship time,” said Jordan Hobbs, biology sophomore.

For more information on The Venue, you can email Barrett at jordan.barrett@sckans.edu.

Hayley Weston-McClain is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at hayley.weston@sckans.edu