IMG_0615By Bailey VenJohn

The Lady Builders conquered St. Mary Thursday afternoon. Senior night was celebrated as it was the last home game for the team this season.

Southwestern was down for most of the first game but made a run in the 6th inning to top the Lady Spires 3-2.

The second game was another story. The Lady Builders scored in the first inning and ended up winning 4-1.

Sarah Yzquierdo, senior infield, said “It feels pretty great to end my career on a pair of wins. I feel like we started off slow and really picked it up in the second game.”

Yzquierdo and Georganna Hopper, senior pitcher, were the only two seniors on the team this year.

Hopper said she’s going to miss the girls and the team the most.

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, sophomore first base, said “The team is going to miss the enthusiasm the seniors brought every day to practice and games.”

Next up on the schedule for the Lady Builders is a double header Saturday at McPherson. This game, which was originally scheduled for March 30 and then April 4, was cancelled twice due to weather.

The Lady Bulldogs are currently 16-25 overall and 9-9 in the KCAC. Southwestern is sitting at 14-21 on the season and 5-11 in conference.

The first pitch Saturday is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.