The Southwestern College theatre department’s Homecoming production of Bertolt Brecht’s “The Good Woman of Setzuan” will be joined by some extra cast members in their show: puppets.

It will be performed Oct. 10, at 7:30 p.m., Oct. 11, at 8 p.m. and Oct. 13, at 2 p.m.

The ensemble cast will be incorporating large and larger than life puppets for a number of their ensemble characters, designed by Emily Tilton, cast member and head of puppets sophomore.

“There are a total of 15 puppets, all life size except the gods, who will be larger than life,” Tilton says.

“The puppets will be realistic, based off the humans portraying them. The ensemble members will have puppet versions of themselves. The puppets will be used throughout the show by all members of the ensemble.”

The cast members themselves are excited about the rare chance to use this unique device in their performance.

Shane Schrag, theatre and music junior, said, “My favorite part is making an inanimate object come to life.”

However, an addition as significant as the puppets does not come without difficulties. Schrag added that acting with a puppet and making it feel realistic and natural was his biggest challenge.

Juliette Lowrance, theatre senior, said, “They are extremely heavy,”

“When you have to carry that weight while maintaining the physical nature of a character such as an old woman or a pregnant sister-in-law, it’s difficult.”

The show will be presented in Messenger Recital Hall. Information is available at www.sckans.edu/theatre.