By Erin Morris

While practices are not yet in full swing, tennis team members are brushing up on their serves and techniques in preparation for the season.

After a 2-9 record last year, the men’s team is optimistic about the future. D.J. Wilson, business graduate, is captain and third-year player. He said this year they will be focusing on building up a better and more versatile team. He believes returning members are solid players and the new recruits show loads of talent. “They could be fighting for top spots on the team,” Wilson said. 

Morgan Hubele, elementary education senior, is playing tennis for the second year at Southwestern. As team captain, she is looking forward to playing with this year’s team. The women’s team ended last year’s season 7-4 and hope to improve on it this year. “This year we are going to focus on improving our game and building a good name for SC tennis,” said Hubele.

Randy Smith, head tennis coach, is in his second year at Southwestern. He is as excited for the new season as his players are. This year he was able to be a part of the recruiting process, which he believes is one of the most important jobs as a coach. “It was enjoyable to talk to college bound graduates about Southwestern College,” he said. Last year the men’s team finished 2-5 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and the women finished 3-4. “We will absolutely place higher in the KCAC this year with men’s and women’s teams.” 

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.