By Alissa Sheppard

A loss for Southwestern tennis team happened March 28 when they played Seminole State College in Ponca City. The matches began at 3:30. They lost 1-8.

The women had three doubles teams, which none of them won. “We could have communicated a little more and helped each other out more to win,” said Sara Peck biology freshman. She was the only woman on the singles team to win a match. The first match for Peck was won six to three, and the second one was four to six, so they had to do a tie breaker, which she won. Playing in the five spot, she said she played pretty well. “I would like to improve on my shot, sometimes I get in a hurry, but other than that my serving was good,” said Peck.

Tyler Harrell, marine biology sophomore, said that the scores don’t reflect how the match went. She played doubles with Sara Peck, and feels that the team did good and worked hard. “Seminole Sate had a very strong team and we did a really good job at staying positive and working on our game,” said Harrell.

Jessie Riggs, liberal arts and science junior, feels that the team did great as a whole. He said the teams they have been playing have all been D1 and D2 schools, and that Seminole State is ranked third in the nation. “We have been holding up great against these other teams which are out of our league,” said Riggs. “I did very well, and I think the team did as well,” he said. He cannot wait until their conference games and thinks that the team is very ready. Riggs, also the team captain, said his job is to make sure the morale stays up. “I try to make sure the team stays encouraged,” said Riggs.

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication you may email her at alissa.shepaprd@sckans.edu.