Tristan Walters, biochemistry junior, takes a whack at the ball while Jacob Tafoya, business and computer information systems senior, waits to respond during their doubles match yesterday against Central Christian College. The two lost 8-6, and the men’s team lost 6-3.  By Paige Carswell, Collegian Photographer

Tristan Walters, biochemistry junior, takes a whack at the ball while Jacob Tafoya, business and computer information systems senior, waits to respond during their doubles match yesterday against Central Christian College. The two lost 8-6, and the men’s team lost 6-3. By Paige Carswell, Collegian Photographer

Coming off of Spring Break, the men’s and women’s tennis teams are going into the last month of their seasons with refreshed legs and attitudes. The teams play Oklahoma Wesleyan University Monday at home coming off of yesterday’s play against Central Christian College.

By Paige Carswell

The teams headed into yesterday’s matches two and a half weeks after playing their last game against the Tigers. Results were not available at press time. The men had fallen to Central Christian 7-2 on March 6, but Darrell Wilson, business administration senior, was hopeful about the team’s chances of winning the second go-around.

“The first two matches, you can kind of see where you’re at and what you need to improve and then you can go back and fix your problems and mistakes,” he said. “Last time, we were just on the wrong side of a few. They’re a decent team, but we should hopefully be able to win this time.”

Randy Smith, head coach, hopes that these beginning games will prepare the players for when conference games begin.

“Our main goal for both the men and the women is to improve on our standings in the conference,” he said. The men were sixth in the conference last year, and the women were third. “We’re really gearing up to play good then. It’s a realistic goal, and I think it’s definitely within our reach.”

The women dominated the Lady Tigers 9-0 in their first match against them, but only had one practice before yesterday.

“Having one day of practice is kind of not good, but I think we’ll be okay,” said Katie McNett, English freshman. “Since we’ve already played this team, we kind of know what to expect.”

The women were 2-0 before the matches yesterday—a promising beginning to the season. “I think we all obviously wanted it to be this way, but it was a pretty good,” said McNett. “It’s definitely exciting for all of us. I think it’s motivated us to keep it going, and keep trying to stay undefeated.”

The men were 0-2 after suffering losses to both Central Christian and Oklahoma Wesleyan previously in the season, but Wilson is staying focused on his and the team’s goals.

“My goals are to win every match, and the goal for the team is to make the tournament,” he said. “They only take top four to the tournament. This year we’re looking to get into the KCAC tournament and improve.”

A conference championship is what the women are aiming for, McNett said. “I know the upperclassmen are strategizing. Most of us look ahead to those games.”

Conference play begins April 10 at 9 a.m. versus Bethel College.