The women’s tennis team nearly swept the Hesston College Larks Sept. 24 in Hesston. All three doubles matches were won by the Lady Builders as well as five of six singles matches.

Melissa Roetzer, biology junior, knocked off Whitney Hickert, freshman, in number one singles in deciding fashion, 6-2, 6-1. Kelsey Smith, elementary education freshman, Sara Peck, biology freshman, Tyler Harrell, biology sophomore, and Katie McNett, secondary education junior, all won as well in straight sets. Smith took out Hesston’s Erika Wedel, freshman, 6-1, 6-1. Peck won in number three singles against Taylor Funk, sophomore, 6-0, 6-1. Harrell took care of business in her match against Katie Miller, sophomore, winning 6-1, 6-0. McNett rounded up the singles wins with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Emma Payne, freshman, in number six singles. Abby Gengler, business finance freshman, fell to Leah Unruh, freshman, in number five singles 6-4, 6-3.

In doubles action, Roetzer and Gengler teamed up to take out Hickert and Wedel 8-2. In number two doubles, Peck and Smith doused Miller and Funk by an 8-1 margin. McNett and Harrell finished their doubles match with an 8-4 win over Unruh and Payne.

The men’s side was not as successful at the meet, but was still able to snag a few victories.

In his second year as the number one position, Max Manly, business management sophomore, took out Hesston’s Jake Painter, sophomore, 6-3, 6-2. Nick Morris, sports management sophomore, fell to Michael Oyer, freshman, in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. Josh Sapp, biology freshman, competed well in the last set, but it wasn’t enough as he lost to Jordan Tompkins, sophomore, 6-1, 6-4. The match between Michael Bond, business freshman, and Taylor Ermonian, freshman, turned out to be the most entertaining of the meet. Bond lost in the third set 7-5, 4-6, 10-8. Jessie Riggs, liberal arts junior, opted out of his match due to injury.

Manly and Sapp teamed up to bring home one more win for the Builders as they took down Painter and Keenan Jensen, freshman, 8-6 in number one doubles. Bond and Morris lost their doubles match 8-3 against Oyer and Austin Loucks, sophomore.

The Hesston meet rounded out the fall play for the tennis team. Their next meet will not take place until 10 a.m. March 10 at home against Emporia State University.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.