By Kyle Killgore

Winter weather will delay the start of the tennis season, from Feb.25, to Feb. 28.

Both the men and the women’s teams were scheduled to begin their seasons facing EmporiaState University, but the winter weather forced the schools to cancel that meet. Instead the tennis teams will start their season Monday in Bartlesville, Ok. against Oklahoma Wesleyan University. “It’s not really a bad thing that the tournament got cancelled,” said Katie Jackson, education junior. “We can get some more practice in before the season starts, since we’ve only had one week of official practice.”

After tying for fourth place in the conference last season, the women are expected to be stronger this season. “I’m expecting us to do really well,” said Jackson, “It helps that the team is extremely close.”

The women finished the season with a record of 7-4 last season, and 3-4 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play. “I think that we’ll do much better than that this season, “said Melissa Roetzer, biology sophomore, “We competed well last season and as a team we are stronger this season and we’ll at least go to the top four.”

The women’s tennis team has a core group of players that were on the team last season. The men’s team however is a completely new team.

The top four players are freshmen. “We are looking to compete with everyone, and gain experience throughout the season,” said Max Manley, business administration freshman who will be playing in the No. 1 spot.

The men’s team finished the season with a 2-9 record overall and a 2-7 record in KCAC play. “I think we’ll do better than Southwestern usually does,” said Manley, “We’ll win some we’ll lose some. If I had to make a prediction I think we will be above .500 this season.”

Kyle Killgore is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu