By Lea Shores

Six weeks ago, Erin Morris, communication freshman, had never played tennis. “Melissa [Roetzer] and Tyler [Harrell] asked me to play because they knew I’d be willing to try something new,” said Morris.

The team has been very supportive, Morris said, and works well together as a team.

“I’m really happy with the way I’ve been picking it up. It’s about having fun and getting better each time I play,” said Morris. “Our team has a really good attitude. We work as a team and play as a team.”

It’s this attitude that has helped the women battle through a rough season. Currently ranked No. 5 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference, the Builders have won one of five games this season.

The women face off against No. 2 Kansas Wesleyan on Thursday.

Morgan Hubele, elementary education senior, said the team will go into the meet with a winning attitude. “Our biggest struggle is learning to finish out each match, playing to win instead of playing to not lose,” said Hubele.

As a doubles team, Hubele and Katie Jackson, early childhood education sophomore, had the only win out of nine matches on Tuesday against Bethany.

The men are also keeping their heads up as they prepare to play Kansas Wesleyan. The Builders are currently last in the KCAC with a 0-5 record but are evenly matched against the 0-5 Coyotes.

Max Manley, business administration freshman, said, “We are going to have to play well but we can definitely win this.”

The men are struggling with an inexperienced, young team. Manley said, “We’ve been working a lot on doubles and consistency.”

On Tuesday, the men lost 0-9 against No. 1 Bethany. “We played pretty well. We didn’t expect to win,” said Manley.

Lea Shores is a senior majoring in English. You may e-mail her at lea.shores@sckans.edu.