By Erin Morris

September 21 brought the Southwestern College tennis teams their second off season meet. Both the men’s and women’s teams played at home Wednesday against Newman University.

After playing a nationally recognized Cowley College, both teams were hoping to compete more successfully in the second meet.

On the women’s side, Melissa Roetzer, biology junior, finished singles with a 6-0, 6-0 loss. Kelsey Smith, elementary education freshman, also finished with a pair of 6-0 losses. Sara Peck, biology freshman, finished a 6-2, 6-2 loss. Tyler Harrell, biology sophomore, fell 6-1, 6-2 in her match. Abby Gengler, business finance freshman, finished with a 6-2, 6-1 loss, and Katie McNett, secondary education junior, lost in a tie breaker 6-1, 3-6, 4-10.

The women’s doubles switched it up for the second meet. Roetzer and Gengler paired up and finished with a 8-0 loss. The second doubles team, Peck and Smith, ended with a score of 8-1 in favor of Newman. McNett and Harrell also won a game out of the eight game match, finishing in a 8-1loss.

“We all played well. We just need to keep working on our little mistakes here and there that add up to losing some close games,” said McNett.

The men’s side also went winless in all of their matches.

For the men, Max Manley, business management sophomore, finished singles 6-3, 6-2. Nick Morris, sports management sophomore, ended with a score of 6-2, 6-1. Josh Sapp, biology sophomore, ended 6-4, 6-3. Michael Bond, business freshman, finished with a score of 6-4, 6-4. And Jessie Riggs finished his games 6-3, 6-2.
Manley and Sapp finished doubles 8-0 and Morris and Bond ended with a loss of 8-3.

Both teams maintained positive attitudes as their coach reminded them that this is practice, a time to see what they do well and what needs to be practiced.

“Overall I thought I played pretty well. I probably played the best I have ever played from the baseline and rallied every point. Serving, I struggled a little bit, which hurt me towards the end. But overall I was very pleased with how I played and thought I could have won the match if I would’ve served more consistently,” said Morris.

Both teams will play again Saturday against Hesston College. Games begin at 11 a.m. at Hesston.

Erin Morris is a sophomore majoring in professional communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.