Tennis season is coming into full swing. On Wednesday the Builders travel to Emporia State Wednesday to compete in their first road meet.

Despite having a non-conference opponent, Randy Smith, head coach, is looking for his team to pick up some momentum heading into conference action.  “What I want my players to focus on is to play as hard as they can and then evaluate what we need to improve on,” Smith said, “we are going there to play our very best.” 

The tennis team has had its bright spots so far this season.  “I think as a team we are performing well,” Morgan Hubele, elementary education junior, said, “I think the season is going great and coach Smith is doing a great job, but there is also a lot that we need to work on.”

On Sept. 22 they played at home against Newman University.  The women played hard, but finished the meet winning only 2 of 9 total matches against the Jets.  Lacey Hibbs, elementary education junior, defeated Newman’s Megan Lowe 7-5, 6-3 in #3 singles.  Alesia Schnewies, biology senior, also pulled out a win as she shut out opponent Danielle Drouhard in #6 singles, 6-0, 6-0.  Both Hibbs and Schnewies are undefeated this season.

The men’s team failed to win a match against the Jets, but still played competitively.  Jesse Riggs, liberal arts freshman, lost by a slim margin in #5 singles to Derek Emmert of Newman, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 10-4.

Members of the team are still looking to find things they can improve on.   “We are doing everything we can to improve right now,” Jacob Mires, undeclared sophomore, said. “We need to be more consistent.” Smith said, “Conditioning is one thing that we need to improve on. We are working on that and also court sense in doubles. Doubles is something that is going to be a big factor in the KCAC.”         

After matching up against Emporia State, the Builders open up conference play at Kansas Wesleyan Oct. 8 at 11 a.m.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.