By Kyle Killgore

The Southwestern College tennis teams started their season this week. Their first meet was against Oklahoma Wesleyan, in Bartlesville Okla.

Both teams lost big. The men were shut out 9-0, while the women lost 8-1, only winning one doubles match.

“I feel like it was a good opener because they are a really good team. They are stacked with their skills,” said Josh Sapp, biology freshman, “We’ve played them before in the first half of the season, and I feel like this time we played better than we did overall.”

The women however were missing two players. This forced everyone to move up in the ladder and player at a higher position than they would have before.

“It’s good for us to play high level teams,” said Melissa Roetzer, biology sophomore. “Playing these skilled teams will help us improve for when we have to play teams in conference.”

The Builders played Central Christian College March 2. The women took charge this time, winning their side of the meet 8-1.  The men however were unable to take a match from the strong Tigers and lost 8-1. The men were only able to take one set the entire day.

Southwestern women showed skill. Erin Morris, communication freshman, played in her first match ever and beat her opponent in straight sets, 6-0 and 6-1.

“It was good to play a team like Central Christian,” said Roetzer, “It’s good to get out and play and we all have things we need to work on and things we need to do to improve our game.”

The next time the tennis teams will play is the Bethel Invitational March. 11 and 12.

“The non-conference games and now the tournament are good tune-ups for us going into conference play,” said Tyler Harrell, marine biology freshman. “We all have our things that we need to work on and the non-conference games are giving us a good chance for that.”

Kyle Killgore is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores