By Alejandra Rojas

Members of the Green Team will visit Greensburg and the Flat Ridge Wind Farm Project near Medicine Lodge, after Jason Speegle, director of Green Team, visited during spring break last year. The team will travel Saturday and Sunday. The purpose of the trip is to help the members see a green environment.

Speegle said he wants students to bring back something that can be implemented on campus and in Winfield.

“I thought it would be beneficial to see a real green environment like Greensburg,” said Speegle.

While in Greensburg the students saw the damage from the 2007 tornado. The tour facilities were built with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

LEED works as a rating system and evaluates the environmental performance of a building and also encourages market transformation toward sustainable design.

Greensburg is 150 miles northwest of Winfield on US 400.

The Art Center, Kiowa County Memorial Hospital, City Hall, the high school and the Chevrolet building are LEED buildings.

While touring, the Green Team will also learn about the history of the tornado.

Speegle said, “We want to bring those ideas back to campus.”

The Green Team will visit the wind farm near Medicine Lodge.

“Kansas needs to be a leader in wind energy,” said Speegle. “Out of all the 50 states we have the potential to be the third largest for wind energy and we are responsible to have that resource.”

The Green Team focuses on making the campus and the surrounding area a more environmentally-friendly place for everyone. The Green Team hopes to generate a positive influence on the world around us by recycling.

If you want more information or are considering joining the team, there is still time to do so. You may contact Speegle at extension 6311 or by e-mailing him at jason.speegle@sckans.edu.

“At Southwestern we have made a commitment to be green,” said Speegle.

Alejandra Rojas is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.