The Southwestern College education department has recognized Kelsey Smith, Winfield, and Dylan Moore, Ottawa, as “Teachers of Promise.”

Smith is the daughter of Randy and Rene Smith, Winfield.  She is a graduate of Winfield High School.

“So far, the experiences I’ve had in the education world have been outstanding and the best part is that this is only the beginning,” Smith says.

Moore is the son of Kimberly and Lee Gregg, Ottawa, and Darrell Moore and Dana Crawford, Ottawa.  He is a graduate of Ottawa High School.

“It has been a great pleasure to have worked with such wonderful educators and colleagues throughout my journey in music education,” Moore says. “I want to thank them for their compassion and expertise and for inspiring me to better myself for the betterment of education.”

According to Jackie Glasgow, director of student teaching at Southwestern, each year Kansas colleges and universities with teacher education programs are invited to name two individuals to be recognized as “Teachers of Promise.” These individuals will be honored at a Nov. 22 banquet in Wichita.

“In this selection process, the teacher education program faculty of Southwestern typically considers individuals who are presently in their student teaching semester through both the campus and professional studies cohorts. With the continued growth of our program, the pool of potential candidates continues to grow, making the final selection challenging,” Glasgow says.

Glasgow continued that in naming exemplary candidates, attributes of effective professional educators are considered, similar to those utilized in identifying the “Kansas State Teacher of the Year.”

Those attributes include demonstrating a strong commitment to the teaching profession, planning and delivering effective lessons which attempt to meet the learning styles and needs of all students, building team relationships with colleagues, supervisors and parents, and engagement in the greater school community.