By Bria Boykins

Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker, was named preseason All-American earlier last month. Tazkargy is currently majoring in chemistry and math and in his last season with the Builder football team.

Throughout his years playing football, Tazkargy led the team with the most tackles.

“I think it is great accomplishment for him,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach, on Tazkargy’s All-American status.

Tazkargy took interest in football when he was younger, but it wasn’t until he was in the third grade that he actually got to play. He played little league football and his position was linebacker.

“I feel confident about the upcoming season. I saw some things we did good and some things we did bad, but we’re working as a team, so I feel pretty good about it,” said Tazkargy.

When asked how he felt about the season, Crandall said “I think we have some potential to move up in the conference standings.” Crandall considers Tazkargy as a leader on the team. “He is not much of a vocal player, but his leadership is shown in his play,” said Crandall.

Tazkargy has speed and uses his instincts on the field, but is sadden that this will be his last season with the Builders. His main goals for the season are to win a conference championship and have a winning record.

“Zak is fast, he makes a lot of good plays,” said Nathan Richter, one of Tazkargy’s coaches and former SC linebacker. Richter also considers Tazkargy as a leader on the defensive side of the ball. “It’s always a good thing when players get awards, and being All-American is the best you’re going to get. Being that players coach is always a good thing,” said Richter.

Bria Boykins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at bria.boykins@sckans.edu

Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker, earned preseason All-American honors in football this past month. Tazkargy led the Builders in tackles last season.