Starks Nish (right), guard, rises above the ground and stretches her arms to receive a high pass while. The Lady Builders loss 80-77 to the Wildcats during the Tara Patterson Memorial Classic (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer).

As the Tara Patterson Memorial Classic came to the end, the Lady Builders would face off against Culver-Stockton to finish the tournament. During their first of two games Friday night the Lady Builders came away with the win against Dallas Christian College, but the Builders would not be so lucky this game.

It was a fight till the last buzzer, but unfortunately the Builders would fall to the Lady Wildcats 80-77. There was never a moment during the game where either team would run away with the score.

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, said during awards that this would be the type of basketball Tara Patterson, former basketball player at Southwestern, would love to see.

During the first half of the game both teams played well offensively and defensively. They would go into the locker room with a score of 34-33, with the Wildcats leading by one point.

The second half would be a fight on the court, with both teams making point after point. The game would not be over till the time on the board ran out. The Builders would make 44 more points the second half, but the Lady Wildcats would end up making 46 points.

The Lady Builders top scorer for the night was Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, with 20 points and Kristy Herman, junior guard, with 17. Brett Bates, senior guard, would follow closely making 16 points for the night.

“Today was a really good basketball game,” said Denly. “We made a few runs and we thought we had them, but they came back at us. End the end they a few points more then we did and we ran out of time.”

Finishing 1-1 in the tournament and having a record of 1-2, the Lady Builders will hit the road Monday Nov. 12 to face off against Southwestern Christian University.

“Where is excited for the season,” said Denly. “This is a really good basketball team at Southwestern and where just going to keep getting better.”

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in Convergent Journalism. You may email her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.