Playing the first game of the conference playoffs at Tabor College, the Builders traveled to Hillsboro in attempt to advance to the semifinals. Arriving with a 9-9 record in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and being in the No. 5 seed in the conference, the Builders played at their best level against the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays played better and got out with the victory 62-54.

When the clock marked 16:10 remaining in the first half, the Builders were up 9-2. Tyler Shirley, sophomore guard, scored a field goal and was fouled. He went to the free throw line attempting to score the two-and-one but he missed. Six minutes after this, the Builders increased their lead by 10 points to 22-12.

Koury Clayton, junior forward, scored a three-point basket when 3:30 minutes were left in the first half, putting the Builders on top of the scoreboard once again 30-27. James Davis, senior guard, scored a field goal and got fouled. He scored the free throw to put the Builders up by five. This was the last basket of the first half, sending the Builders to the locker rooms up by five 35-30.

Three minutes into the second half the Builders were once again up 40-32. Two minutes later the Blue Jays responded and came back to tie the game 40-40. Thirty seconds later the Blue Jays scored a three-pointer and went up in the scoreboard for the first time in the game.

The Tabor Blue Jays had a 5-0 run in four minutes. It was a minute later when the Builders finally scored once again a field goal to shorten the lead 51-44.

Only 1:25 remaining and seven points was the difference between both teams. Seventeen seconds later, the Builders narrowed the lead to four. The Blue Jays scored another basket to increase their lead by six.

This last loss puts an end to the Builders 2011-12 basketball season with a record of 19-11 overall, finishing the KCAC conference 9-9 and losing in the quarterfinals.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.