Southwestern Softball welcomed Bethany College to host their final conference doubleheader on April 21. The Builders ended up dropping both games of the series 9-1, 6-5.

In Game 1, MacKenzie Lyons took to the pitcher’s circle for the first game giving up six in the top half of the first going into the bottom.

Lyons gave up eight before gaining run support from her offense, gaining back one run in the bottom of the second.

Jecca Autry walked with the bases loaded, which brought in Cassidy Schubert, which plated the first run of the day for the Builders with two outs.

Southwestern’s first opportunity to cut into the lead was closed shut by Bethany pitcher Samantha Quezada to end the inning bases loaded.

In the bottom of the third, Alexis Gouyton and Cady Norton both checked into the hit column to ignite rallies ultimately to be overshadowed by the Bethany defense.

Bethany held on and won the game 9-1.

MacKenzie Lyons pitched five innings, Alexis Gouyton led the team in hits (2) Norton and Schubert (1), for runs batted in Jecca Autry had the only one on a Cassidy Schubert scored run.

GAME ONE BOX SCORE

Team                R          H          E

BETH                9          10        2

SWC                 1          4          1

Alexis Gouyton, senior infielder, was asked about the energy and what the difference was between games one and two.

“The energy on and off the field had to be it for sure”, she said.

Hannah Foltz, was tasked with pitching for game two of the doubleheader.

Receiving some run support from her offense via a Kayleen Gonzalez double that scored Sydni Fulks and an Alexis Gouyton single that scored Gonzalez.

This put the Builders up 2-0 going into the top of the second.

Foltz was scoreless through her first three innings.

In the fourth, Bethany breakthrough, scoring three in the third, one in the fourth and two in the top of the sixth.

Bethany had scored six unanswered runs going into the bottom of the seventh.

Despite being down 6-2 going into the seventh, Southwestern did what they could, but it was not enough to earn the victory in game two.

Hannah Foltz pitched strong innings with nine strikeouts, Alexis Gouyton and Kayleen Gonzalez led the team in hits (2), Gouyton had (2) runs batted in for the game which led the team.

GAME TWO BOX SCORE

BETH                6          10        1

SWC                 5          10        1

Kayleen Gonzalez, senior outfielder, gives her comments on the girl’s hard fight back after game two.

“Something we’ve been striving to get better at all year… Is stringing hits together. As a team, we have been trying to put up runs earlier in games because it seems that our bats always warm up towards the end of games, we run out of time, and it is too late. This is something we struggled with today, and hopefully, we can adjust for our sterling series,” she said.

Kyley Pipkin, junior infielder, is optimistic about the way the team is coming together down the stretch, “Everything is coming together; we must just put it together at the same time,” she said

The Builder Softball team is right back at it Saturday, April 24, against Sterling College in Sterling, Kan., a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m.