Each student has their own fan club in their hometowns. These fan clubs include parents, grandparents, teachers and family friends who sat through every basketball game, orchestra concert and softball game. They helped study for tests, gave advice on problems at school and gave encouragement. Successes of the students can be seen as their successes.

Not all of these people live close enough to be at every activity anymore, but their support is still important to students

Tyler Lampert, physical education senior, hails from Florida. In three years of playing Builder football his dad got to see him play four times and his mom only three. Despite the absence of his parents from the stands, Lampert didn’t struggle with the change. “They still supported me in a different way,” said Lampert. “It was always extra special when my mom would come though.”

Ariel Prevett, psychology sophomore, said her mother liked to be at all of her activities in high school. “I was in choir, National Honor Society and swimming,” said Prevett. “My mom liked to be at everything. She made me feel like she believed in me to succeed.”

Those fans still send their support through e-mails, Facebook and phone calls to students. Lauren Moser, general studies junior, said, “My parents send me those care packages during finals and my mom always writes something inspiring in the card. She also sends me e-greeting cards to make me smile sometimes.”

Students help each other fill in the void of missing family and friends from back home. Teams, organizations, friends and roommates can become like family. Lampert said, “My friends who stayed to coach had an impact on me. It was almost like having my real brothers at every game.”

Many students said they have friends whose parents live closer and they have been adopted into their family. “My roommate’s parents always offer to let me stay at their house and if I ever need anything, they are there for me,” said Moser.

Despite the continuing encouragement from family and friends, it isn’t uncommon for student’s to experience homesickness. Even upperclassmen, who have spent a lot of time away from home, still feel alone at times when there’s no one special in the crowd.

Sarah Jane Boyer, music junior, said, “There are still times that I feel like I don’t have anyone out there for me because my parents aren’t there. I just remind myself that I have friends from the college and community who are there to support me.”

Besides the never ending support of those family members and friends, students often miss other luxuries of home. It’s typical to see a student going home for the weekend carrying a full laundry basket to their car to see if mom might take care of it while at home, or to hear pleas go out to parents for $20 for a tank of gas.

What students long for more than anything else, however, is a home cooked meal.

Kyle Just, physical education sophomore, said “I have a summer job and food, those things that I need. But if I could have one thing, I’d have my parents bring me home cooked meals all the time.”

As any organization on campus handing out free pizza has already figured out, the real way for those fans to continue to feed student’s successes—is through their stomach.