The greatest and most important football game of the year will arrive shortly. Four days from now, on Feb. 2, the Seattle Seahawks will face the Denver Broncos in the 48th edition of the so-called “Big Game.”

The path to this game started early in September with 32 teams fighting, then five months later  there are only two teams remaining.

From my point of view, I consider this event a money-waterfall. I believe my reasoning for this is that when people think about the Super Bowl, they immediately think about expensive tickets and the commercials. The day following the “Big Game,” society talks mainly about which commercial was the funniest and which was the worst.

Let’s be real. Even people who are clueless and careless about football watch at least two seconds of this event. My question all these years has been, why? I have concluded that it is because people will drag their friends to watch it with them. Others will simply glance at a television in which, of course, the game will be on.

Growing up in Mexico, a society that, as a whole, does not follow day-to-day football, I find this particular time of the year interesting. It is amusing that everyone jumps onto the Super Bowl bandwagon. People who don’t even know the rules, myself before coming to Kansas, will pick a team that will win the game. I recall cheering for different teams such as the Bears, the Giants, the Patriots and the Steelers. That’s right, I cheered for teams when I did not even know what was going on.

I started thinking why people do this, and the closest answer I could come up with is that some of us do it in order to try and fit in with society. The “Bowl Game” is one of the many events that people jump on the bandwagon for. Others include the World Series, the NBA Finals, the Olympics, and the World Cup Final.

But the whole purpose of this event is one word: money. Advertisers see this event as one of the biggest opportunities of the year to advertise. The reason for this is simple; It is because millions and millions of people will watch the commercials.

This year, Fox will be broadcasting the game. The “privilege” of showing a 30-second commercial will cost companies around $4 million. Because it is one of the most watched sporting events of the year, especially in the United States, companies seek revenue for showing their ads. A quick no-brainer motto of “the more people watching it, the more customers I will have,” is one companies adopt. Of course, there are more elements to getting customers to buy your product than just a commercial. For example, word of mouth the day after the game.

Not only are the advertisements pricy during the game, but the tickets to go see the actual game are ridiculous. I promise you that you will not find a ticket cheaper than 1,500 dollars.  All third party retail sellers advertise tickets, the cheapest being between 1,888-2,000 dollars. If you want to know what the most expensive one is, let’s say it is enough to pay all four years at Southwestern and still get change. That is crazy. I am terrified of writing down that six digit number.

And if you are thinking about maybe purchasing one, hold on. Remember this year’s Bowl Game will be hosted by the city of East Rutherford, New Jersey. The game will be played in the Jet’s and Giant’s MetLife Stadium. Hotel prices will flare up, and food and transportation will be another thing to worry about.

If you have the money and the privilege of attending, take a picture and tag me in it, or salute me on national television. If you want to go and are thinking about getting a loan, think twice. Imagine all the things you could do with that money, or remember that you will eventually need to pay it off plus interest.

So on Sunday at 5:30 p.m., or whenever you watch the Super Bowl, recognize that this event is all about the money in your pocket.

Angel Vadillo is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.