By Cameron Siefkes

Megan Fox took pictures of herself in a bathtub. GoDaddy.com girls ripped off their clothing. Men left their wives behind in order to save their tires. 

During this year’s Super Bowl, advertisers again found clever ways to catch an audience’s attention. Maybe not as well as last year, but they did it.

Many people watch the game just for the sake of the commercials, so it is up to those advertisers to put on a good show. So, there is nothing like objectifying women to stir up a few chuckles. 

Laughter is usually the first reaction received by many of the lame attempts. But, it would be interesting to see how many people actually stop to think about the messages advertisers are sending to society. 

Pretend as though you are sitting in on the brainstorming process for the Motorola commercial. First we have to think about our audience. Who are the only people who watch the Super Bowl? Well duh, men are making up the majority of the audience. So, we sell to them what they want and we all know they only want sex. Perfect. Call Megan Fox up, stick her in a bathtub, give her a camera phone and the possibilities are endless. 

Now, think about the magic which took place when the people working for Bridgestone stumbled upon their genius idea. They probably thought about what is the most important thing to a man. One would think his wife or significant other would be the obvious answer, but not for these clever cats. 

Here’s the set up: we show a sleek car with our impeccable tires. The evil men will arrange a trap where they will give an ultimatum to the man in the car—his tires or his life. But, in a twist of events the man in the car will hear, “Your Bridgestone tires, or your wife.” Then the woman will be shoved out of the car and the man will speed off into the distance. It’s simple. It’s brilliant.  Men will flock by the thousands to buy our tires. 

Think about how the sexes are portrayed in the media. Women are the sex objects and men are the controllers. Ads for cosmetics, diet pills and cleaning products are sold to women while men are targeted by commercials for cars and tools. Commercials help to put all people in society into roles.  It is up to the consumer to decide whether or not they are going to buy into those ideas. 

There were a few ads out there which were for everyone. The uniting feeling of the “My Generation” commercial was not lost. And who doesn’t like hearing Betty White talk some smack? However, it is hard to pay attention to those when others are using every means possible to shock and awe audiences.

As a consumer, you should constantly be aware of how advertisers are treating you. 

Most importantly, take it upon yourself to pay attention to the things which they are getting you to buy into or how they are portraying you. 

Cameron Siefkes is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at cameron.siefkes@sckans.edu.