By Morgan Givney

Summertime provides more opportunities than the traditional swimming, fishing and vacation to students who seek employment. While summer is a nice break from the monotony of school work, there are benefits to utilizing the time off to better yourself and focus on career aspirations.

Dan Falk, dean of students, says that the summertime should mean different things to upperclassmen. “When you’re a freshman and sophomore you’re just trying to find a job your comfortable with and make as much money in the summer as you can. I think as you get to be a junior or senior you look at it a little different. You have to be really diligent when you’re a junior, you need to start thinking about your summer over Christmas break,” said Falk.

Allie Maffei, pre-med freshman, has found a summer job that aligns with her future career that also will let her make some money. “I currently work at Graves Drug. I’m going to become a pharmacy technician in the summer. I’m working this summer mainly for experience to work in a medical related field. Obviously I’m doing it to make money too but it’s mainly just for experience because I want to be a physician’s assistant. For PA school they want you to have experience as a pharmacy tech or something,” said Maffei.

Working in the summer can allow you to dabble into different fields and see where your interest lies. “I think working teaches responsibility but also kind of teaches not only what you do like to do, but also what you don’t want to do. If you have a rough job it kind of motivates you to get a college degree,” said Falk.

Jamiee Grinstaff, athletic training junior, has a summer job to keep her from being bored. “I’m going to be working in the mail center, sorting out mail and printing posters,” said Grinstaff. She hopes to continue this job into next semester.

“I think it’s cool after freshman year if you want to go back to a job you had in high school, be a life guard. There’s no real pressure there. You can make money and focus on paying for tuition. But, if something comes open in your town, like a sales position, try it out. The key is to have an open mind and go for opportunities, be willing to get out of your comfort zone if something comes your way,” said Falk.

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in Communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.