Maggie Dunning
Assistant Online Editor

Electronic sports or e-sports as it’s more commonly known as, works like many of its physical contact sports brothers and sisters do. There are coaches, divisions, practice times, varsity and junior varsity teams and even scholarships for it.

SC’s e-sport team should not be confused with SC’s gaming club.

The gaming club is a sponsored by SGA and meets the last Friday of every month. This club plays multiple video games in a relaxed, fun manner.

Zenas Lopez, graduate assistant, e-sports coordinator and coach, said, “E-sports stands for electronic sports. It is competitive video games. It focuses on a few specific games. The one that we play in currently is League of Legends.”

League of Legends, a Multi-player online battle arena or MOBA game. Lopez described it as a game of capture the base with teams of five players each.

Lopez said, “League of Legends is the most popular game in the entire world, played in multiple different nations.”

Schools who play League of Legends competitively go through the website College Star or c-star for short, to set up tournaments for the different divisions.

Nick Carlson, member of the e-sports team, said, “What C-Star tournaments are, is they are all online, you have our team going up against another team somewhere in the United States.”

C-star has divisions schools can select for their teams based off of what the players ranking are.

Carlson said, “If your teams are higher ranked then you are going to put them in division 1, if they are mid to high rank you’ll put them in division 2, if they are lower ranked they are going to be in division 3.”

C-star will then generate a random bracket based off of how many teams in each division register for the tournament.

Lopez said, “In League of Legends there is a ranking system. The very bottom in unranked to Bronze to Silver to Gold, Platinum, Diamond and then Master and Challenger. Challenger is the top one percent of the one percent. They are considered the best players in the world.”

Lopez explained that the e-sports team currently has two teams, A team and B team, which can be thought of as varsity and junior varsity respectively.

“Our A team ranges between Gold 1, which is the highest division in Gold to Diamond 2 and our B team between Gold 5 and Bronze 3,” said Lopez.

Carlson said, “Our e-sports [A team] is Division 2 because we have high Gold players up to Diamond.”

Besides team ranks players also have control of individual rankings that change from year to year.

Carlson said, “You have to play 10 placement games [every season] but those 10 placement games, they will generally put you with people that ended in the same area that you did last season. Determining on how many of those you win or lose is going to decide what rank you are starting the new season.”

Each collegiate year has two seasons for tournaments. “Tournaments have fall seasons and spring seasons, so the fall semester will have a season and the spring semester will have a season in c-star,” said Carlson.

A new season just started for League of Legends so the game is now in season six. The team is still recruiting players for the next academic year.

E-sports, like all sports has to be careful of and watch out for cheating.

Carlson said, “The biggest form of cheating is scripting or writing programs while you are playing the game that give you an unfair advantage. It is pretty easy to determine if someone is scripting.”

The team records every tournament they play, so if they suspect someone of cheating they can send the film in to c-star to be reviewed.

“It’s like football, you send in the tape and point out the irregularities, than that team would officially remove themselves from c-star. That’s why it’s important that we make sure our players are playing correctly, because it comes back to the school that your team is playing for,” said Carlson.

The try-out process is similar to other physical sports.

Lopez said, “We rate the experience of the player, their communication skills, their actually dedication to it, because it doesn’t matter if they are the best player in the world if they aren’t going to show up to practice or games.”

The team practices every week night.

Lopez said, “We practice nightly depending on if it’s A team or B team. On Saturday are our college star league tournaments.”

Both the A team and the B team made it to the playoffs.

The next e-sports tournament is on March 5 in the gaming lounge. People can watch the tournament live stream by going onto the website twitch and following the handle sclolclub.

Maggie Dunning is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.  

Pictured above: A visitor, Taylor Locke, business senior, and Zach Moya athletic training sophomore play League of Legends in the gaming lounge.