By Mallory Graves

The holidays are a special time of year when families come together and spend time with each other.

Many college students look forward to Christmas break because there is a two-month period after finals where they can relax and see their friends and family.

Jalen Barnes, business junior, said, “I look forward to seeing my family the most. Christmas is the only time of the year where my whole family gets together to see each other. I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.”

Conner Cheney, accounting freshman said, “I really like seeing family and catching up with everyone over dinner. My family’s go-to Christmas meal is ham, mashed potatoes and various other sides.”

Lydia Bumgarner, early childhood education sophomore said, “I enjoy decorating with my family because it has been a tradition to set aside a night to do it as a family since I can remember. We usually start decorating the week after Thanksgiving. Another thing we always do is bake sugar cookies together the night before Christmas with my younger sibling for Santa.”

Roger Klenke, sports management senior said, “I am thankful to be home and to spend time with my family. I have missed my dad and brothers. It will be good to catch up with them over the break.”

Maliki Pope, business administration sophomore said, “I haven’t got to go home a lot this semester nor spend a lot of time with my parents because of COVID-19, so I am looking forward to spending quality time with them during Christmas.”

Desiree Galloway, health science sophomore said, “I’m excited to see my niece’s reaction when she opens the present I bought her. I got her a baby Yorkie puppy. I’m sure that my three-year-old niece will be so happy to have her.”

Although there are many traditions during Christmas, there will also be some firsts for people to experience as well.

Makelia Barrett, health science freshman said, “I am excited to see my uncle because he is away in Georgia. It’ll be the first time spending Christmas with him. I’m really looking forward to seeing him because he’s been away in the army. I’ll be glad that he has finally made it home safely to us.”

American Christmas traditions vary from those of different countries.

Santiago Bracco, business administration senior said, “Christmas is a very important moment for me because it is one of the few important days that I spend with my entire family. It is important because Christmas in Argentina is way different than it is in the USA. Here, we spend time with family, and if you are old enough, you can also go to the bar with friends and have fun there.

“Last year, I spent the holidays in the U.S. with some friends, the food, traditions and music were all really different than how we do it back home. I enjoy both, but I love spending time with my own family. It’s the most important thing to me,” said Bracco.