By Dalton Carver

The literal definition of culture shock is, “The feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes.” I can think of no truer atmosphere to relate this term to than college.

In high school, I could walk into the classroom on test day, sit down without any form of studying, and pass without much difficulty. Walking out of the classroom, I felt no anxiety, no worry, no nothing. I expected a pretty good grade and that’s usually what I received.

I’d heard college was harder, but I had zero indication of how much harder. As classes began, everything seemed relatively similar to high school. I paid minimal attention to the text, unless it was needed during class. I got by on prior knowledge and what I wrote down during the lecture. Then the first exams rolled around.

I was completely unprepared. I racked my brain for some sort of miracle answers, but there were none. I stared at the white, completely blank piece of paper as if my pencil would pick itself up and write down the desired words. The ending of this short description needs no further explanation. I received a terrible grade on that test.

Gone were the days of “just winging it,” but just in case it was a fluke the first time, I decided to do the same thing for a few more tests. I bet you can guess what the result was. If I didn’t start studying, I was going to dig myself a hole that I wouldn’t be able to crawl out of, at least not with any dignity.

I’m definitely not proud to say that I’m still crawling out of some of those holes I dug, and I might not make it out of some of them. I wasn’t prepared for the constant grind that college education is, because I didn’t think about the future in high school, or the important parts of the future anyway. I came in looking for a fun experience, but I’ve found that I can’t be content in doing something I actually want to do unless I’ve completed everything that I’m supposed to do.

In all fairness, this article should be directed to those cocky high school kids who are about to graduate and think they know everything. However, since they can’t read it, we’ll save the important parts for when they can. It’s okay to spend more time in the library than you do on your Xbox. It’s perfectly fine that you study instead of going out to eat every night. If you follow that last one, it’ll save you money too. But we can cover that subject in another editorial

Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu.