100_0843

By Inger Furholt

New faces are found on campus every year. All have a different story and different ways of influencing student’s lives. As of Oct. 5, Brendon Fox can be found in the Student Success Center (S.S.C) as the new learning center director.

Fox is currently involved with on-campus organizations: Student African American Brotherhood and Student African American Sisterhood. He is also teaching marketing this semester. Fox said he expects his new position to be both challenging and rewarding.

“I am just now learning how it operates,” said Fox. “One of the things I plan to do is to bring in online tutoring, called smarthinking.com, which can help push more students to get familiar with the tutoring services.”

Fox’s, a native of Long Island, N.Y., previously worked as a police officer at Wichita State University, and prior spent several years in the air force. “As a child I was an air force brat,” said Fox. “I lived on the west coast, the east coast, and overseas.”

During his own time in the air force, he met comedian Sinbad, who is well known as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s costar in the movie “Jingle All the Way.” Fox said, “Sinbad and I were in the air force together, I won’t say we were close friends or anything, but he and I hung out.” Fox also used to run a modeling agency and said Sinbad used to date one of his models.

Aside from his career, Fox is a family man. He has been married to his wife Debra for 20 years.  They have one son, Regis, and three dogs: a black Labrador, a Yorkshire terrier, and a Chihuahua.  The family enjoys eating at Fox’s favorite restaurants, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro and Redrock Canyon Grill. During his spare time, he enjoys playing tennis, and said he can’t wait to get back into shape and get out on the tennis court again.  Until then, he can be found in the S.S.C.

For whoever needs help or wants to welcome Brendon Fox to the campus, S.S.C is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. Students who need help can stop by and make an appointment with a tutor or e-mail student.success@sckans.edu for more details.

Inger Marie Furholt is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.