By Hanna House

Acting in a play can already be a challenge. Try directing one! For the students in the Directing Two class, this is what they do all semester. They have to pick a play and direct it by themselves to produce a 30-45 minute one-act play.

Auditions took place February 19th and 20th and rehearsals will begin shortly.

The two student directors this year are Juliette Lowrance, theatre tech senior, and Shane Schrag, theatre performance junior.

Both [plays] have to do with how difficult it is to move on in your life unless you have dealt with your past; forgiven yourself for your mistakes,” said Roger Moon, theatre professor.

They are doing these performances as part of the class curriculum and will play a part in their final grade. The idea of this project is to teach the students by giving them the opportunity to put their knowledge to the test in a real situation.

“We have to take a script and fully analyze it and know it like it is the back of our hand,” said Lowrance.

Lowrance will be directing a comedy and Schrag will be doing a drama. Both performances will take place in April during finals week.

“We have been spending time going back and learning the different types of theatre, how the director was in different eras, and going deep into analysis,” said Schrag.

Although it seems to be a ways off, these performances are sure to come up quickly so keep an eye out and go show support to fellow Builders.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.