By Katie Vorderstrasse

As time is dwindling down, summer is approaching fast. Every school year students count down the days until the last class of the semester.

When finals week takes place, students look forward summer plans for motivation. Seniorities discover seniors as graduation is near.

Garrett Mangrum, business education sophomore, looks forward to staying in Winfield this upcoming summer. He plans on working for a farmer. Mangrum originally grew up and graduated from Winfield High School. “Dub town for life,” said Mangrum.

Other students look forward for new experiences. Jessica Kelsey, religion and philosophy junior, has an internship lined up in Nashville, Tenn. “I’m going to help start a program that has been in Oklahoma for the past 14 years. It’s going to be called Project Transformation-Tenn.,” said Kelsey.

For seniors this means moving to a new place. Christy Rude, early childhood education senior, is planning to move to Wichita and plans to attend Wichita State University in the fall. “Now that I graduated from college, I will have to be more responsible, such as expenses and other responsibilities of living in the real world,” said Rude.

This summer Rude will be working at Rainbows United in Wichita. This foundation takes care of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. “I have a really big passion for working with children, especially those that struggle more in school and life and need a little help. So that one day they can accomplish their goals and dreams,” said Rude.

Molly Komlofske, philosophy and religion senior, is making a life time commitment to her fiancé Kyle Just, physical education senior. Their wedding date is June 9 in Garden City. “I’m definitely looking forward to getting married, but I’m looking forward to family time since this is the first time in college getting to go home for summer,” said Komlofske.

In August the couple will be moving to Wilmore, Ky. “I’m not looking forward to physically moving, such as the moving process.” With big plans ahead of the couple uncertainty of actual housing and financial situations are upon them.

As students and faculty leave for summer break they leave behind a little of each and every one of their fellow classmates and community. “I’m not looking forward to being away from my college friends,” said Lindsay Rhoades, biology junior.

Katie Vorderstrasse is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at katie.vorderstrasse@sckans.edu.