By Ozzie Briesch

Balancing school, study time, work, tests, quizzes, laundry, and extracurricular activities is enough for even the best of us to get overwhelmed. But there is one thing we don’t think about.

Experts say that certain forms of stress are not bad unless they are constant. Stress can actually be stimulating to the mind and in away, trains your brain such as weights would train your muscles.

So does life on campus really imitate life out in the real world? Or could all of this stress just be temporary? These are the questions we ask ourselves as we write papers for our classes late in the night just before their due date.

Movies portray college life as a place of few worries and many parties like the motion picture “Animal House.” However the dark truth is it is much different than that. It is a life of little time, and endless to-do lists of homework and chores.

Let’s say we wanted to break down stress in college into categories. Let’s divide them into time stress, academic stress, social stress, and physical stress.

Poor time management triggers time stress. Mastering time management is a crucial skill needed to survive the day-to-day rush. When it comes to time, there is none. It is a constant run to practice, a constant run to class, and a constant run to breakfast lunch and dinner. That is, if you have time to eat at all.

Academic stress goes hand in hand with time stress. They are a dynamic duo of terror and will leave you confused, angry and late. Academic stress mainly consists of slamming your head against the desk after hours of studying with little to no memory the next morning of what you studied.

Who hasn’t had a little social stress in their life? Relationships are hard, but when you have no time to work on them…well, welcome to college. It’s a place of no sleep, no friends and a hot date called homework tonight.

But nothing is more taxing than avoiding physical stress. Lack of sleep, poor eating habits, and demanding too much of your body makes keeping yourself healthy is a constant challenge. The last thing you want to do is miss an important day of classes because you are too busy bent over the toilet, giving back your last meal.

Being in control of your personal space is crucial. Without a clean space and clean clothes, your life will transform into a stink bomb. Your room should be something you enjoy, like a retreat from the outside world. Allow your room to get dirty and your laundry to get backed up, and your retreat now smell and look like a garbage dump.

Video games, movies and television are a good release from the constant pressure of good grades and staying organized. However, these escapes can be abused and become addictive. Try a little study session, or writing a few paragraphs for your paper, instead of waiting until 2 a.m. to finally begin.

Music is also a great way to escape the reality of life. If you are one of those people who find themselves in another world when you put on the head phones, then you have a convenient way of easing the stress while studying, and any other mentally taxing chore that’s planned for your day.

But if you just can’t take it anymore, the best cure for stress is sleep. If you can find the time, just sleep it off. Give your brain a chance to recharge from all of the abuse.

Ozzie Briesch is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email him at Austin.Briesch@sckans.edu