With their 82-61 loss at home to Sterling Saturday, the men’s basketball team has lost five of their last six games. Their record has now slumped to 3-7 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 11-8 overall, ranking them second to last in the conference.

It was the second matchup between the two teams, Sterling winning the first meeting in Sterling Dec. 2. The Warriors picked up where they left off as they controlled the game throughout.

Sterling shot 47.3 percent on the night and hit 9-18 from beyond the arch. They went into the locker rooms at halftime with a 27-17 lead and outscored the Builders in an offensive second half 55-44.

Southwestern struggled immensely from the free throw line, hitting just 9-22 foul shots. The team also shot 37.1 percent from the field and hit 6-20 three point attempts.

Thanks to Chris Nelson, junior guard, the Builders were able to gain a slight edge on the boards, outrebounding Sterling 42-39. Nelson led the team with 10 rebounds of his own.

David King, senior center, led the Builders in scoring with 12 points. The highlight of the night was that King scored his 1,000th career point as a Builder. It would be one of the only bright spots in the game for the team.

Southwestern stays at home for their next game against Kansas Wesleyan. The game tips off at 8 p.m. Jan. 27 in Stewart Field House.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.