Jasmine Jackson, music education sophomore, skates under the limbo bar in the annual limbo contest at Skate Night on Monday. Skate Night kicked off Stau Bau activities. Students also played Four Corners and each classes competed in a relay race. The winning class earned points that will be counted toward the overall class winner at the end of the week.  Photo by Sally McGuire / Collegian Photographer

Jasmine Jackson, music education sophomore, skates under the limbo bar in the annual limbo contest at Skate Night on Monday. Skate Night kicked off Stau Bau activities. Students also played Four Corners and each classes competed in a relay race. The winning class earned points that will be counted toward the overall class winner at the end of the week. Photo by Sally McGuire / Collegian Photographer

By Sally McGruire

This Wednesday and Friday, the outdoor Rec Center basketball courts will transform from an easygoing, blasé environment to a sweat-drenched, exceptionally brutal site. Why?

Seven teams of Southwestern students have come together to partake in one of Stau Bau’s events: 3 on 3 Basketball.

All teams are excited and revved up to play. Each will play in a first round on Wednesday, and the finalists will compete for the win on Friday.

Team Rolie Poliez feels that practice is unnecessary for a win. “We’re going to win,” said Joey Pataki, undecided sophomore, “We’re not worried about practicing.”

Pataki, Jordan Barrett, secondary education freshman, Christian Butler, business administration freshman, Hannah Podschun, English freshman, and Jeff Schaefer, sports administration senior, make up the Rolie Poliez.

“Was I aware that I was going to have to play the whole game? No,” said Podschun. “Well, to put it simply, I’m scared for my life. I played intramurals in high school, but I was never very good. I feel like with the bomb combination of players that make up the Rolie Poliez, there’s really no chance of losing though.”

Members of Phi Delta Theta formed a team at the last minute. Dustin Gorden, chemistry senior, Jeff Smith, education junior, and D.J. Wilson, business administration senior, formed a team on the night before the deadline, which was on April 5. Smith played throughout high school and is confident about the abilities of his team. “We’re going to win, and if we don’t, we are going to talk the most trash,” he said.

Brandon Hessing, coordinator of Student Foundation, is one of the three referees for the tournament. “I’m all about playing a clean game,” he said. “I’ve been a ref before for intramural teams and I did some announcing too.”

Hessing, Coach Harris, and Jason VenJohn, Women’s Basketball Assistant Coach, will be refereeing the games. Because there were several spots left open for teams to join the tournament, Hessing suggested that the three referees may combine for a “superstar team.”

“I’m really excited for it. It seems like it’s going to be really fun,” said Hessing. “It’s something new and people aren’t used to it, but maybe it will be a tradition that carries on and only gets bigger and better.”

Both games on Wednesday and Friday will take place at 6:30 p.m.