By Maggie Dunning

Green eggs, green ham, green hats and clothes. No, it’s not Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham elementary school day celebration. It’s Saint Patrick’s Day.

Oh, how I love all those little cartoon leprechauns with their pots of gold decorating the walls of restaurants and shops. The whimsical four-leaf clovers and over-the-top Irish paraphernalia never fail to make me roll my eyes.

Don’t get me wrong. I love St. Patty’s Day as much as the next guy. It’s just hard for me to take it seriously when it has been so overdone for so long.

That’s not to say that being overdone is a bad thing. The United States makes everything overdone. It’s just a way of life here.

In fact, I think St. Patty’s Day is good for America. It allows people to unleash their inner child to play for the weeks leading up to the day and on the actual day.

The feel for St. Patrick’s Day only changes when it hits 5 p.m. from coast to coast.

Then people release all their inhibitions and decide that getting completely wasted and making utter fools of them-selves is a brilliant way to celebrate a holiday.

I blame the green beer.

Why people find it so enticing is beyond me. It’s like they don’t understand that it’s just food coloring in the beer. It isn’t some magical ingredient that makes American beer taste better.

It’s all in people’s heads. All the drinking, games, clothing and make-up are nothing new but, make them green and suddenly they are the best thing for one day of the year.

But dear God, I just can’t get over how cute those leprechauns are.

I adore Saint Patrick’s Day. I will never understand why other people like it, but I figure that’s ok. They have their reasons and I have mine.

Maggie Dunning is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.