By Hanna House

If you don’t practice, how can you ever expect to be perfect? This year the spring sports have been in a constant battle with the weather. Softball, golf, and tennis have all been struggling to win outside time.

Softball alone has already had to cancel three games with uncertainty of when they will be able to make them up. Last year the team had to play more than three games in a week towards the end of the season to get all their games played.

White PE is a common meeting place for teams when it is too cold to practice outside. With the open area and pull out batting cage, it serves its purpose well for the softball team but Jennifer Nicholson, assistant softball coach,  said the space is pretty small.

“It is very, very difficult to try and get anything besides hitting done in White PE,” said Nicholson.

Nicholson said the difference between hitting a ball outside on the grass to inside on the foam is immense.

The golf team has also migrated to the open space in White PE during frigid weather.

Justin Churchill, junior business major, said this weather has been awful. The actual practice time has been minimal which makes it hard to prepare for their fast approaching tournaments.

The tennis team was supposed to play in Oklahoma this past weekend but was cancelled due to weather. They have been lucky and not had to cancel many things. Jason Speegle, head tennis coach, said the team is fortunate enough to have access to indoor facilities in Arkansas City.

With warm spring weather still out of sight, we wish these spring sports teams the best of luck in the battle against this cold weather.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.