By Daegiona Wilson

Two is better than one.

That is exactly what the Moundbuilder football team will get this year, another competitive season.

The Builders open up their spring play against Avila March 13, 6 p.m. at Ray-Pec High school in Peculiar, MO.

The Moundbuilders ended the fall season 4-1. Their lone lost came from No. 11 ranked Bethel Threshers, who battled back to secure a 39-35 victory.

Despite the lost, the team is looking to continue on with what good season they had in the fall.

Brad Griffin, head coach, said, “Overall I think we are getting closer to being back to the things we were doing well in the fall. We’ve been able to get in quite a few practices over the last three weeks.”

Earlier this semester, cold temperatures and severe weather forced the Builders to miss outside practices. Griffin said they are still playing catch up conditioning wise.

Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running-back, said, “We had less time to prepare, but it gave us time to dive into the playbook and focus on the fundamentals.”

The Builders lost Israel Harper, a four-year starter, who graduated at semester. As well as, a few players who contributed valuable minutes, due to eligibility. Freddy Betello, junior kicker, and KCAC all-conference kicker, is also no longer with the Builders, who left the team due to personal matters.

Griffin said, “We have some younger guys who are just going to have to play a bigger role than what they maybe expected coming into the spring.”

As of now, the Builders are down to four of five scheduled games this spring. Bethany recently announced their cancelation of the reminder of the season. Griffin said losing this game, means that the team will need to win out, to enhance their chances to post season play.

Saturday will be the biggest test for the Builders. The Moundbuilders dropped a home game in their last meeting with the Eagles, losing 28-12, in 2019.

With the Eagles ranked No. 23, James Bauer, offensive coordinator, said, “We don’t have to play perfect, but we have to play good. We are going to have to score.”

Griffin said there is no opportunity for too many mistakes. “We will have to perform really well this weekend to come home with a victory.”

Rain is scheduled in the forecast, but the game remains on. Bauer said this might call for the Builders to rely on running the ball. “What’s nice is we are really good at running the ball, so that will be a good challenge for the offensive line to show them what we’ve been practicing.”

To watch the game, visit, https://portal.stretchinternet.com/sckans/

To listening, tune into, https://radio.securenetsystems.net/cwa/KSOK