Sports editor

The Builder golf teams will resume their 2012-13 season Feb. 25.  The men’s and women’s teams open spring play at different tournaments in Texas. Both teams will play five tournaments for the spring season.

The Moundbuilders will travel to San Antonio to commence play at the San Antonio Shoot-Out in Canyons Course. The University of Texas at Brownsville and Oklahoma Christian University will host the event.

The Lady Builders start their season at the Lady Crusader Spring Invitational in Killeen, Texas.

“My expectations for the season are to work hard each day and keep a positive attitude,” said head golf coach Brad Sexson.

Practice resumed the beginning of February. Sexson said, “The team is preparing by practicing and playing as weather permits.  We have put special emphasis on short game and putting practice.”

The men’s team will be on the road twice in March. On March 11, they travel to Fort Worth, Texas. On March 31, the Moundbuilders will travel to Newton to play the Bethel Invitational.

Both men’s and women’s golf teams host the South Central Kansas Spring Invitational at Quail Ridge Golf Course on March 18.

Following that, the Lady Builders travel to Grand Prairie, Texas, on March 25. On April 8, the women’s golf team will hit the road for the Warrior Invitational in Hutchinson.

“We practice five or six times a week for over three hours to prepare for every tournament,” said Luke Arneson, accounting junior. “We work together to find any errors in our swings and try to correct them to become better.”

“With five girls, it is going to be a tough season,” said Hannah Mason, biology sophomore. “We need to keep practicing and battling to have a good start.”

After the March invitationals, the Moundbuilders will try to qualify for the NAIA National Championship on May 14. The championship will take place in Salem, Ore.

The Lady Builders will try to qualify for the National Championship on May 21 in Lincoln, Neb.

The Moundbuilders finished first in the three out of four tournaments played last fall: the Braves Invitational, the Wildcats Invitational and the South Central Kansas Fall Invitational. The men’s golf team tied for the 11th place during their fourth tournament.

The Lady Builders ended second of five at the Braves Invitational, 10th of 21 in the NAIA Preview Invitational, and last place in the Stars Fall Classic. They finished first in the tournament they hosted.

“As long as everyone is giving it their all, I can’t ask for anything more,” said Sexson.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.