By Alyssa Harshfield
Guest writer

Spring is a time of hay fever, new flowers, bees, and the most debilitating condition of all: Spring Fever. I can’t think of a single person that hasn’t experienced some degree of this. Every little kid wants to run out of their classrooms and play in the sun, and as adults, or near adults, we just want to get outside and do something.

Spring fever is usually characterized by apathy, or the want to do nothing. Lack of motivation is another good way to put it. For students, this also usually manifests itself as a longing for school to be over. I know that everyone in the academic field, pupils and teachers alike, feel this. Spring is a time of renewal and energy, and after being stuck in school for nine months, I am ready for the change to come.

Seniors suffer from an upgraded version of spring fever. The dreaded senioritis always hits around this time. Although senioritis can strike at any time, especially if graduation is in the winter instead of spring, it is definitely at its peak during spring months. I am in the throes of it myself, and my roommate has been hit by it as well. It’s a new sensation for me because I did not happen to get it after high school. I think knowing I would be returning to school after the summer was over kept it at bay, but there is nothing stopping it now since I’m less than a month away from being done with school.

Personally, I deal with it in a very strategic manner. First, I take as many easy courses as I can in the spring semester. This cannot always be done, though, as there are certain classes that are only offered in the spring. Even so, taking easier courses means that less effort is involved, making it easier to make an A when the fever kicks in. I did this in high school more so than college, simply because of the way classes laid out in college.

After the classes get started, I will often do as much work as I can in one large spurt. This can frustrate others because it makes it look like I’m being productive, but what they don’t seem to realize is that I do it so I can give into my apathetic tendencies. It frustrates me as well when I see others slacking off more and more as spring goes on when I can turn in every assignment.

I think what can really frustrate spring fever sufferers as opposed to senioritis members is the difference in work ethic. If you have ever been in a group where people don’t turn in stuff, you’ll understand the pain. For years, spring fever has been the bane of my academic career because of people’s lack of work. Now, I’m beginning to understand why it happens, even if I’ve yet to miss an assignment.

Truthfully, it is weird. I don’t even want to do the things I usually do to occupy myself because I just want to be done. When I do my favorite things, such as draw or write, I enjoy them, but getting motivated to do that can be difficult during the spring.

Whether you are a spring fever or senioritis sufferer, the effects are undeniable. The best advice I can give anyone is to just persevere through. It will eventually finish, and then you’ll get a break, even if it’s just for the weekend. Don’t give up! It’ll be summer before we know it, and then no one will want to go outside.

Alyssa Harshfield is a computer science senior. You may contact her at alyssa.harshfield@sckans.edu