By Taylor Finke

If you know me at all, then you know I don’t know the first thing about sports, but I seem to know enough to enjoy watching sports movies. So, I decided to check out ‘42’

’42’ is based on the true story of the baseball star Jackie Robinson’s career. It follows the ups and downs of his life, the joys and struggles of the first African American major league baseball player.

For me, the movie wasn’t just about baseball; instead, it was more about segregation and racism and those who tried to overcome both.

The historical details of ‘42’ helped make it more real. Set in 1947, the film pulls off a swanky vibe, and really brings the postwar Golden Era to life. The costumes and settings were fun to see.

There are plenty of game scenes, but clipped, and never stagnant. There is also a fair amount of humor in ‘42’, that definitely helps keep the drama from becoming overwhelming. However, what really gives life to the movie is the actors.

I enjoyed Harrison Ford’s performance the most. He is lovable, in a cantankerous, gruff way, with his dry humor and growly voice. As the cigar-chomping Branch Rickey, his life is driven by the sport he loves, and he is willing to put his neck on the line in order to get his way.

Chadwick Boseman also shines in the part of Jackie Robinson. He’s gutsy, and struggles to keep back his temper as others heckle him. He plays the part well, and caused me to shake my head whenever the crowds booed him or other players jeered at him.

Overall, it was a nice movie, but not a particularly memorable one. It didn’t quite have the emotional pull of ‘The Blind Side’, but definitely had more poignant actors. If you’re looking for a sports movie with a bit of heart and drama, you could do worse than ‘42’.

Taylor Finke is a freshman. You may email her at taylor.finke@sckans.edu.