Jeanine Thweatt-Bates, professor at the College of New Jersey, will present the Beck Lecture at 7 p.m. Sept. 25, in Mossman 101.

“Our Beck lecturer this year is an exciting young scholar who is at the forefront of research on the intersection of science and technology,” said Jackson Lashier, assistant professor of religion.

The title of her presentation is “Monkeys, Cyborgs, and the Imago Dei: Humanity in Faith and Science.”

Thweatt-Bates will be addressing the question of how scientific advancements in technology, particularly those related to artificial intelligence, affect traditional understandings of human spirituality.

“Although people sometimes assume science and religion are at odds with each other, the reality is that they often converge in fascinating ways,” Lashier said.

“Dr. Thweatt-Bates’ topic of the nature of the human being is one of those areas as it brings the religious concept of the image of God into conversation with scientific advancements in artificial intelligence. Her lecture is sure to produce meaningful conversation and to be edifying to both disciplines.”

Thweatt-Bates holds a Ph.D. in theology and science from Princeton Theological Seminary. She is author of the book “Cyborg Selves: A Theological Anthropology of the Posthuman.”

The Beck lectureship, funded by Paul V. Beck to explore topics relating to science and religion, is an annual event on campus and brings in theologians and scientists from across the nation.