Builder football left everything on the field Saturday night, earning a win on the road. The Builders won 45-10 against the Bethel College Threshers. Winning the game put Southwestern at a 1-1 overall record, and 1-0 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

It didn’t look like the game was going to go in Southwestern’s favor at the start. The Threshers Marquis Sykes, freshman running back, scored the first touchdown with 3:32 left in the first quarter. But the Builders would not let the Threshers get too far ahead. With 29 seconds left in the first quarter, Cass Myers, senior running back, ran 8 yards for a touchdown, with Austin Ledy, senior kicker, completing the field goal.

The Builders charged ahead scoring the next five touchdowns to cap the game.

After losing to Northwestern College 13-47 in the last game, and after coming off a 2-7 season last year, the Builders showed that this would be a different year by allowing the Threshers only one touchdown and a field goal. Bethel would not have an answer offensively as the Threshers went 7-15 for third down conversions, and 0-2 for fourth down.

Builder defense would not allow anything to get past them. Zack Tazkargy, senior linebacker, and Branden Davis, senior linebacker, would both have one interception each.

It seemed to be a senior night. Myers would continue his success, leading the team with three touchdowns for 190 yards. Cory Holbert, senior running back, also had a phenomenal night. He carried the ball 76 yards for a touchdown, ending the night with two touchdowns for 159 yards.

A team would not be complete without a kicker. Ledy had a successful night with nine points, which included a 46 yard field goal.

The Builders hope to continue their success against the McPherson Bulldogs Sept. 17. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. in Richard L. Jantz Stadium.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu