Pictured above: Abbie Woods, athletic training junior, poses in the toilet bowl after her team took last place in the tournament. Woods is surrounded by teammates Evan Van Schie, psychology senior, Alex Shimp, psychology junior, Sierra Miller, business administration freshman, Kevin Guerrero, computer science junior, Stefany Soto, accounting junior, Bryson Barret, computer science freshman.

By Bailey VenJohn
Online editor

Jess De La Cruz, accounting senior, dribbles down the field will Mayo Akintunde, business administration senior, attempts to stop him.
Chris East, biology freshman, chases down Max Beaver, sport management senior.
Max Beaver, sport management senior, sneaks a goal past Keetley McLachlan, marine biology junior.
Keetley McLachlan, marine biology junior, finds a way between Sheridan Keller, biochemistry senior, and Jordan Garcia, business administration senior.
Jerry Brunner, athletic training junior, raises the first place trophy surrounded by teammates, Mayo Akintunde, business administration senior, Hailey Bliven, psychology junior, Jordan Garcia, business administration senior, Max Beaver, sport management senior, Sheridan Keller, biochemistry senior, and Jacob Montoya, accounting senior.

The men’s and women’s soccer team competed in a unique tournament for the past couple of weeks.

The tournament began with a draft night. Two captains from the men’s team and two from the women’s were chosen to be captains of the four teams in the tournament. A draft was hosted to create the four co-ed teams.

For the first couple weeks each team played one another twice to determine which teams would play for first while the other two would play to avoid being the toilet bowl champions.

The tournament was concluded today with the playing of the finals. The first place team was awarded with a trophy that their names will be engraved on.

Joe Wood, women’s soccer head coach, explained the plan for the trophy.

“The goal is to host the tournament for six years engraving the names of each winning team on the trophy. After six years the Southwestern teams will auction off the trophy as a fundraiser,” said Wood.

Ideally, an alum who’s name is on the trophy will want to purchase it.

The idea was brought to Southwestern by men’s soccer head coach, Kyle Pond. This was Pond’s first year as a Builder.

In future years the teams hope to make it a bigger event on campus.

“We want to be able to host the draft night in the auditorium. If not next year, maybe in a few,” said Kevin Guerrero. “Messenger Hall would even be cool, we want to do something that the whole school could be involved in.”

Alex Shimp, psychology junior, has other ideas on how to expand the tournament.

“I wish we had more teams and could play more games,” said Shimp. “Maybe even open it up to the public and let students have teams in the tournament.”

Bailey VenJohn is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.