By Emily Braudaway

The All-KCAC Awards for men’s soccer were announced on April 20. Francis Watson, junior midfielder, won first team, Kobi Coker, junior defender and Fabio Schneider, junior midfielder, won second team and Josh Eibl, sophomore goalkeeper, won honorable mention.

This is the first time since 2007 that SC got a first team selection in men’s soccer.

Joshua Eibl, sophomore goalkeeper, said, “As a team, we just got unlucky in the tournament. It was a tight game. It could have gone either way. I’m happy for the team that we won four awards. It was a sign that it was a good season.”

Francis Watson, junior midfielder, said, “It’s always exciting to win an award. It’s nice to know that the hard work pays off but if I’m being totally honest I wouldn’t have done it without the help of my teammates and coaches.”

All four soccer players agree that it was because of their teammates and coaches that are the reason why they got the awards.

Fabio Schneider, junior midfielder, said, “What I have accomplished over the past few years, I’m really thankful for my team and coaches because without them, I wouldn’t have had a chance to win any of these awards. It’s not only one player, it’s the whole team. The athletic trainers have poured in work, so all thanks to them.”

Kobi Coker, junior defender, said “Thank you to the team, thank you to the coaches, and thanks to all the fans that come out. There are a lot of people that come out on the regular so that’s a big plus. Now it’s on to bigger better things.”

There is a lot to look forward to next year from the team.

Lewis Derrett, associate men’s soccer head coach, said, “We are returning almost 100% of the key players and getting some good new ones.”

Coker said, “This year we were really really good and when we lost, we never lost big apart from the very first game of the year. We always lost close. We showed that we are ready. McPherson went to the final and lost to Oklahoma Wesleyan could have beaten McPherson, so if we could turn things around in key moments next year, we are going to be a very dangerous team.”

They all four agree that the team next year can push for not only to finish better in conference and conference tournament, but to qualify for nationals.

For favorite memories, Coker and Derrett said that the energy the team has, whether post season or road games, is their favorite. Coker also said he really liked the game where they beat Kansas Wesleyan for the first time in about 20 year, especially after coming after a bad loss. Schneider and Eibl both agreed that it was the last second equalizer goal vs. Saint Mary. Watson said it was him scoring the game-winning goal vs. Bethel in overtime.

Schneider currently ranks 24th in NAIA in assists per game and ranks 33rd in total assists.

Schneider is 5th in KCAC in points/game, 3rd in assists/game and 4th in assists. Watson is 3rd in goals/game, 5th in goals, 4th in shots/game and 4th in shots on goal/game. Eibl is 5th in saves.