By Cristelle Tejes

The golf team played a tournament in Lawrence this past weekend. The team took first overall.

Raleigh Hughes, marketing senior, and Hannah Mason, biology freshman, felt like the team had a really good chance in doing great in the tournament.

“Going into the tournament, I didn’t have any fears. My goal was to win first in both the men’s and the women’s. Congratulations to Tim Jasper and Courtney Huppert for getting first over all in individuals,” said Brad Sexson, head coach.

Hughes said, “The course was alright. It has never been one of our favorite courses, but we go every year. ” Hughes shot a 72 on the first and second days. He had a few mistakes, but felt that it was a solid start to the year.

Mason played in her first college tournament this past weekend. She got third place overall in individuals. Hannah shot an 82 on the first day and an 83 on the second day.  “I didn’t know what to expect with my first college tournament. I was nervous going into it, but after the first hole, all my nerves went way,” said Mason.

She had never played on the course in Lawrence, but she felt like it was in good shape. It was a little wet, which made it more interesting to play on and the fairways were pretty much open. “The greens were a little hard to read though, so it made it a little more difficult,” said Mason.

The golf team’s next tournament is the South Central Kansas Fall Invitational Sept. 26. The tournament will be held at the Winfield Country Club.

Cristelle Tejes is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at cristelle.tejes@sckans.edu.